Our drive: Protecting our playground!
Saving the ocean is at the core of the Ocean Nomads movement.
The Ocean is the heart of the planet. Water covers more than two-thirds of the Earth’s surface. Sea plants, like Posidonia, produce 70% of the oxygen we breathe, and the deep waters are home to wildlife and some of the biggest creatures on earth. It provides us with food, jobs, life, entertainment, and sailing! Without it, we cannot survive.
We believe that by getting the ocean into people’s heart, one starts caring more accordingly. But there’s way more work to be done and needed in this ocean conservation department. We’re continuously think-thanking on how to do this better. Together.
A connected, conscious community is key to accelerate positive change. Through community, we can harness our collective passion for the ocean into solutions for a healthier ocean.
We aim to impact lives and life in the ocean accordingly.
- By connecting people to the ocean. Adventure brings awareness. From that, comes caring. From caring comes action and leadership. The ocean has to be in the heart of people for having people care
- By connecting people to each other. We facilitate online and offline connections between:
– Crew & Adventure Seekers (+Aspiring)
– Captains & Boat Owners
– Community Projects
– Ocean Research and Conservation organizations
– Ocean Activists, Entrepeneurs &Professionals
- We inspire and inform on simple, sustainable and self sufficient nomadic living, minimizing harm and maximizing positive change.
- Through creating educational and practical resources on zero waste travel, oceanminded provisioning, ocean education and more (acces them on our member portal). We have hosted documentory screenings, beach clean-ups, sea clean-ups, ocean impact think thanks on board. We share and connect with other ocean impact initiatives to accelerate ocean impact.
- We amplify the voices of our entrepreneurial purpose driven members to accelerate their initiatives and purpose-driven ocean projects, voyages, and expeditions. We build bridges, introduce, connect, and collaborate to help realize ambitions. Ideas are meant to be made real.
- Most importantly, we live our values. We Show and try not to say too much. And hopefully ignite the ocean ambassador in our surroundings by doing just that.
Be the change you want to see in the world – Ghandi
We measure our impact not by the size of the network but by the value of the interactions, connections, synergies, and stories created. Each one of us has a story, a journey, and along the way drops of impact are made. Many drops create a wave. And those waves impact many lives along the way. It’s the ripple effect we’re after. We plan to create impact reports to measure our progress.
Some drops we’ve splashed into the waves:
- We’ve taken +100 souls into nature on sailing expeditions. To increase ocean awareness & action through experience-based learning . Result: lots of cross pollination between crew members, epiphany moments of the good, bad and ugly in our oceans, and strong relationships to grow initiatives sustainably. On our trips we’ve facilitated sustainability think thanks, citizen science research, freedive clinics, waste competitions, clean ups, but above all connection to nature, and each other.
- We are creating and facilitating synergies between +200 members and counting. On the Socials we have +20.000 members across facebook groups and social media channels where we drop seeds for change. Check the membership page for testimonials and happenings.
- We have different educational resources on our membership portal like: Ocean Challenges Explained (Plastic Pollution, Climate Change, Overfishing, Biodiversity Change and more), Conscious provisioning, How to Deal with Waste at sea, on board, prior and after voyages, Vegan Recipes for at Sea, Zero Waste Nomad life, and resources to get started with sailboat travel as a way to facilitate nature connection.
- Spontaneous beach and sea clean-ups are held to increase awareness.
- Lots of meet-ups and team-ups, peer support to accelerate and amplify missions, and voices for the ocean.